Register nowEmbodied Anatomy & Kinesiology: Muscles
with Amy Matthews
Three trimesters: Oct 2015-Jun 2016
Thursdays, 1:00pm - 3:30pm
In this course we will focus on the muscular system and how it creates, modulates and refines our movement choices. We will travel through the body addressing structure and movement from an experiential perspective, using principles from Body-Mind Centering, Laban Movement Analysis and the Bartenieff Fundamentals, PNF and various yoga practices to discuss principles of alignment and therapeutic applications.
Each trimester covers a different part of the body: The fall session focuses on the spine, the winter session focuses on the lower limb (foot to pelvis) and the spring session on the upper limb (hand to scapula). Class involves both discussion and movement.
The A&K Asana class that follows is based on the topic that is being taught in the Embodied A&K class, and is an opportunity to see how that material might be integrated into an asana practice.
- Fall: Oct 8 – Dec 17, 2015: Spine
- Winter: Jan 14 – Mar 17, 2016: Lower Limbs
- Spring: Mar 24 – June 23, 2016: Upper Limbs
Also on Thursdays with Amy:
This class is an opportunity to spend time experiencing and integrating particular parts of the anatomy and kinesiology material that has been taught in the Embodied Anatomy & Kinesiology class that afternoon, and is an opportunity to see how that material might be integrated into an asana practice.
There are no prerequisites for this course. Any level of ability is welcome, and no previous yoga experience is necessary.
Although it’s recommended that students experience both courses, each year’s material is self-contained enough to be studied independently. The courses may be taken in any order. Each trimester can be taken separately, and the course can be started at the beginning of any trimester.
Full year course (three trimesters) $2,700
Single trimester (Fall, Winter, or Spring) $900
Single Class (Limited availability. Spaces released on a first-come, first-served basis 20 minutes before class.) $95
Single Class & A&K Asana Combo $110
Pay in full for a single trimester at least eight weeks in advance and receive $50 off.
Pay in full for an entire year at least eight weeks in advance and receive $300 off.
Students receive FREE membership for their term of study!
To register for a trimester or the full course, please complete the Anatomy Course registration form. You may use the buttons below to pay a deposit or in full to reserve your spot.
This course takes place at The Breathing Project in NYC. Looking for the online course? Follow this link.
I highly recommend studying/learning at The Breathing Project. My past two years there have been always interesting, sometimes mind-blowing, and frequently leading to new understandings. More importantly it’s changed my relationship to my physical body and transformed my teaching!—Hannah Strater, yoga teacher
My favorite thing about Amy’s yoga classes is how much individual attention she is able to give each student in the class, while making it relevant to everyone at the same time. Her open and generous spirit invites questions, and her thorough knowledge of yoga and anatomy allows her to help with any issue, gently guiding you on to the path to your own personal yoga practice. Her classes are physically and spiritually uplifting and invigorating – she’s simply an amazing teacher!—Phil Verges
- More than 21 days before – REFUND. Deposit will be refunded, minus a $30 processing fee.
- Up to 14 days before – CREDIT. Deposit minus a $30 processing fee may be transferred to another workshop or course at The Breathing Project.
- Less than 14 days before – No refunds or credits.
- Transfer between in-person and online courses is not allowed.
Payment Policies: Anatomy of Breath-Centered Yoga and Embodied Anatomy & Kinesiology
- A deposit is required to hold your space: $200/trimester.
- To receive an early registration discount, full payment must be received eight weeks prior to first session.
- Payment plans must be arranged before session start and direct debit is required. A $10 processing fee will be added to each payment.
- Full payment must be received prior to first session, unless a payment plan has been arranged in advance. Late payments will incur a $25 fee. We do not accept in-person payments on the first day of class.
- Enrollment is by full cost of session. There is no pro-rated enrollment for partial attendance.
Post-Program Attendance: Anatomy of Breath-Centered Yoga and Embodied Anatomy & Kinesiology
- Once you have paid for a full year of an anatomy course with either Leslie or Amy, you can return to classes in that course at no cost, and for an unlimited time - space allowing, at the discretion of the teacher, as long as the course is offered at The Breathing Project in NYC.
Work-Study: Anatomy of Breath-Centered Yoga and Embodied Anatomy & Kinesiology
- A work-study discount of $900 is available for Anatomy of Breath-Centered Yoga and Embodied Anatomy & Kinesiology.
- Awards are given for study beginning in the fall.
- Work-study students must commit to a full year of study, complete two 90-minute training shifts prior to start of the course, and work one two-hour shift per week for the duration of study.
- Work-study students are not eligible for other discounts.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.