Babies! with Amy Matthews, Nisha Kewalramani and Sarah Barnaby
Fridays, 10:30am - 12:00pm
In their first years of life, babies learn to negotiate gravity and locomote by finding midline, rolling over, sitting up, crawling and eventually walking. These sessions are an opportunity to explore the reflexes, movement patterns and pathways for sensory and motor development that help babies learn to move successfully. These learning experiences are the building blocks for self-awareness, effective movement strategies and integrated relationships.
Come learn to see and appreciate what babies are already doing. Babies are learning new skills all the time and the progression of little steps is as important as getting to the big landmarks of sitting, crawling and walking. Learn how to help your baby develop the skills to get into and out of different levels and positions so they can start negotiating the world on their own terms.
These group sessions are structured as open exploring and playing time, where we support the infants in their process, and talk to parents and caregivers about any questions that might come up.
Amy, Nisha and Sarah are certified Infant Developmental Movement Educators through the School for Body-Mind Centering, and their approach is based on principles of Body-Mind Centering® such as “baby ball,” balancing extension with flexion, the value of “small falls”, and prioritizing the process of learning rather than achieving a particular position.
Babies! is intended for babies from newborn to walking and their caregivers, planning and expectant parents, as well as adults of all ages interested in observing developmental movement patterns.
What you should know:
- Before coming for the first time, please fill out our registration form. Once we receive your form, we’ll be in contact with you to arrange your first visit. We limit the number of new babies in each session.
- Each time you come, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of time to let us know.
- For more information on our perspective and what to expect in these sessions, please read about our principles.
- If you’re a caregiver bringing a baby, please review our guidelines for caregivers.
- If you’re planning to observe Babies!, please review our guidelines for observers.
The Breathing Project is a non-profit organization, and we are delighted to offer these sessions free of charge to babies and their caregivers. If you’d like to make a donation to support these sessions, any amount is helpful and appreciated! You may make a donation using the button below or in person.