Since opening The Breathing Project’s New York City studio in March 2003, demand for our innovative programming continues to increase. Our unique anatomy and movement curriculum has struck a chord with yoga teachers and other movement professionals committed to extending their professional skills and knowledge.
Leslie Kaminoff founded The Breathing Project as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization in December 2001. His goal was to open the first New York City studio dedicated to teaching the individualized, breath-centered principles of Yoga in the tradition of Desikachar and Krishnamacharya. Amy Matthews joined the faculty soon thereafter and became his partner in teaching, managing this unique space and writing.
- The Breathing Project’s core mission is to promote the highest possible standards in anatomy and movement education.
- We operate independently, unaffiliated with any established organization, yoga lineage or teaching system.
- We support open-minded individuals from all traditions who seek continuing education and training.
- We create innovative learning opportunities grounded in body, breath and mind, anchored in students’ actual embodied experience.
- We are dedicated to developing an atmosphere of safety and trust.
- We are committed to creating relationships that reflect our core values of respect, integrity, joy and abundance.
Interested in supporting our innovative, experiential education program by making a donation? We appreciate your donations no matter how small! The Breathing Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization. All or part of your gift may be tax deductible as a charitable contribution.